Monday 10 February 2014

Monologue

After planning the monologue and music with Morrighan which she has written the post on here, I began writing the monologue to accompany our OTS footage.

"How could I have allowed this to happen. I've been been devoted to watching her - [slight anger] always."
5.6s: This creates an enigma, so that the audience become engaged immediately. 'Watching her' links to the stalker images of her in the montage. The audience doesn't see who is narrating, creating a dystopian and disturbed feel. Tone should be slow, soft and upset.

"How could I have let her slip."
7s: Audience sees part of the character who is narrating. He does not explain how he has 'let her slip', therefore maintaining the enigma created in the first shot. The word 'slip' compliments the tilt down camera angle, making the monologue and shot fluid/flow together. Short sentence to create suspense for how she died, and prepares audience for the flashback scene as they are able to concentrate on the film rather than the monologue.

"I found time alone with her while I was photographing for the article on her death. I've always longed to be this close to her, but not like this. I only wish it didn't feel so real; that none of this was real."
Longer sentences as he is narrating a flashback which has already happened, therefore it is easier for him to express the emotions he'd already felt. In past tense to show that it is a flashback. Expands on how he has been stalking her, 'I've always longed to be this close to her'. His character is revealed to the audience as they see his face, and also learn his occupation as a journalist; 'I was photographing for the article on her death.' His emotions are still the main focus of presentation, as he is the focal point of these shots.

"Even with her tattoos of dried blood, she was more beautiful in person than I've ever dreamed her to be. No photograph or desiring thought could do her justice. However I cannot escape the reality that she's gone." 
The audience establishes who the femme fatale character is, and the bullet wound in her chest suggests that she was murdered using a gun. They also establish that the narrator is the anti-hero character, as he is mourning her death and admiring her; presenting him as gentle and eliminates the possibility of him being a traditional film noir villain. Focuses on the narrator admiring her, as this scene is composed of still images of the femme fatale.

"I can't rely on the cops to make her murderer pay. They don't know her like I do. They don't care about her. The only way she can be requited is if I find him myself. I've studied her routine everyday; it's 8:57pm and all I want is to see her walking past my window."
Begins to explain the direction of the narrative for the rest of the film. Further expands on the anti-hero's stalking 'I've studied her routine everyday; it's 8:57...' This precision and unhealthy obsessiveness creates an uneasy feel for the audience, and they learn his obsession is one of his main flaws as an anti-hero. This also relates to the film title 'Forlorn Obsession'. The tone should be determined and frustrated. There is no admiration as he is in real time rather than his flashback, and therefore has to face the present reality which he is reminded of as he develops the photographs of the dead femme fatale.

"I won't stop imaging how it happened until I know."
The last word of this sentence will finish as the flashback begins. 'Imagining' signifies the beginning of the flashback and the sentence explains what it is a flashback of, and the short sentence creates suspense. The audience knows that the anti-hero does not see the same accurate flashback as them, as he does is unaware of who murdered her, 'I won't stop imagining how it happened until I know'. The monologue ends here, as the sound accompanying the scene explaining how the femme fatale was murdered will consist of tension building music so that the audience's attention is undivided. This last sentence is powerful at creating an enigma for the rest of the narrative, as the audience wonders if the anti-hero will discover how she was murdered. Due to his narration, they may also empathise with him, and therefore want him to prevail at finding justice - engaging them.

Morrighan has formatted the monologue into a script which is easy for our actor to read: http://www.plotbot.com/screenplays/forlonobsession/screenplay

No comments:

Post a Comment