Wednesday 30 October 2013

Research Textual Analysis

Double Indemnity, 1944
  • Director: Billy Wilder
  • Set in 1938
  • Film noir genre
  • Based on the 1943 novella of the same name by James M Cain
  • Nominated for 7 academy awards but did not win any
  • Citied as a paradigmatic film noir and set the standards for this genre
  • Stars Fred MacMurray, Barbara Stanwyck and Edward G Robinson
  • Budget of $980 000 and box office of $5 000 000

Plot: An insurance rep lets himself be talked into a murder/insurance fraud scheme that arouses an insurance investigator's suspicions.

Narrative:
In 1938, Walter Neff (Fred MacMurray), an experienced salesman of the Pacific All Risk Insurance Co., meets the seductive wife of one of his clients, Phyllis Dietrichson (Barbara Stanwyck), and they have an affair. Phyllis proposes to kill her husband to receive the proceeds of an accident insurance policy and Walter devises a scheme to receive twice the amount based on a double indemnity clause.

Trailer:


OTS:






Reviews:

Quotes:
Walter Neff: "Yes, I killed him. I killed him for money - and a woman - and I didn't get the money and I didn't get the woman. Pretty, isn't it?"
"Suddenly it came over me that everything would go wrong. It sounds crazy, Keyes, but it's true, so help me. I couldn't hear my own footsteps. It was the walk of a dead man."

No comments:

Post a Comment